Installation and quick look
To install :
sudo aptitude install epiphany-browser epiphany-extensions. Epiphany will be in the Internet menu. To make it the default browser : > System > Preferences > Preferred applications.
epiphany-extensions, you get a whole set of extensions easy to use and working out of the box.
Smart bookmarks are very useful. When a site allows you to perform a search, add it to the bookmarks. Edit the bookmark properties. Replace the search item by %s in the URI, your bookmark becomes a smart bookmark. Entering a search term in URL box will allow you to search for that term in one of your smart bookmarks.
Show the smart bookmark on the toolbar (in bookmark properties), and you get all your favorite searches organized :
(that does not prevent me from using epiphany as my main browser)
One of the main drawback to me is the fixed tab width. When you have multiple tabs opened, a little arrow shows up to scroll through tabs. I _personally_ do not like this very much. This is due to GTK toolkit and a bug has been filed looooong time ago. I use Tab Groups extension. A new tab will open right next to the current one. In addition, the Tab menu lists all open tabs. But still …
edit : please see a later blog entry. Unofficial Epiphany extensions partly fix that.
Another one is the
find function. It does not stay up if you go to another tab. I added it to the toolbar to launch it when searching for the same string in different tabs. But still …
Tips and tricks
- Quick search if your home page is not a search engine page : CTRL-L, enter keywords in the URL area, and ‘Search the Web’. By default,
epiphanyperforms a Google search. If you wish to change the search engine, change the
- To open a link or a bookmark in a new tab, click with the mouse middle button after enabling
- To enable smooth scrolling, go to
- To enable the spell checker, set
layout.spellcheckDefaultto 1 in
- Language for spell checking is set in
about:config. “en_US” for US English, and “fr” for French. Sorry, I have not checked other languages
- Epiphany uses the general GNOME proxy setting
- My favorite extensions : Ad Blocker, News Feed Subscription, Smart Bookmarks, Tab Groups
about:epiphanyin the URL area, and enjoy ;-)